Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Countdown: sixteen

Just to keep you all updated on the mundane details of my preparation for Malawi, here's another post.

Monday was travel doctor day. Last year when I went to the travel doctor, I was a little worried (or, dramatic ). This time around, the doctor wasn't so bad. I only needed a booster shot and she even gave me a red lollipop.

I spent a couple hundred dollars on prescriptions so hopefully they are successful. Before going to Uganda, most of the people in my group took Dukoral. I figured I could tough it out and that was a huge mistake. Although it's only 60% effective, that's better than having 100% diarrhea!

Reading through the pamphlet was enlightening.
Among other "dos" and "don'ts" here are a few that I had a difficult time listening to last summer:
DO - drink bottled fruit juices (the fresh passion juice was so yummy)
DON'T - eat fruits that don't need peeling (tomato & avocado salad!)
DON'T - eat uncooked veggies or salads (oops)
DON'T - eat foods sold by street vendors.

That last one was my biggest downfall. I had a few rolexes (chippatti and eggs; not the watch), fried plantains, and mysterious meat on a stick. The deliciousness is obviously tough to avoid.

I also picked up my anti-malarial pills. Last year I used Malarone and didn't get malaria. This year, I'll be using Mefloquine (Larium). It's known to give vivid nightmares, which is fine with me (I think). I usually get scary dreams anyways and in fact, I like them. Nightmares make me appreciate life more. ;)

That's it for updates so far.

We have our pre-departure training during the week before we leave. I'm really looking forward to meeting the other interns and learning more about my position.

Check back for more on that before fly-out day (July 2).

2 comments:

  1. Oooh mefloquine is fun. Welcome to the meflozone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it wasn't as traumatic as last year :)

    ReplyDelete