Thursday, July 15, 2010

Safe in Malawi

*written on July 12*

Last night was the final match of the World Cup. A group of us went to a bar called Blue Elephant to watch the game. As the game continued into extra time, many people became more and more intoxicated. Drunken tension was building within the crowd. There was a small skirmish between a Canadian-Malawian and a local because she took a photo of everyone at the bar without permission.

One young man approached her and after many words and some shoving around, I assume they came to an agreement of some sorts. Luckily, the arguing stopped for the remainder of the game.

Although the fighting made me nervous, there was something else going
on in a similar setting in Uganda - something much worse.

I am saddened at the deadly news from last night and I apologize for
starting off my in-country blog postings on such a somber note but
safety is something I should address right away.

There is always a possibility of something like this happening in any
country, at any point in time. This is something that I am aware of.
Riots happened in Kampala after I left the country; G20 riots were
occurring downtown from where I was in Toronto; suicide bombings
happen every day. We all know this.

But I need to assure you (my lovely readers – those who care about
me), I feel very safe here in Malawi. I am living with an incredible
family, with three security guards and a couple of dogs to protect us. Although some people scoff at the idea of gated community-living, it makes me feel safe at night.

After speaking with the Human Rights teacher here at MIJ, he assured
me that Malawi does not have a history of violence like Uganda, and
that there is no desire for tension here in Blantyre.

So, despite my nervousness of small skirmishes that occur in Blantyre,
please know that it is a safe country and I feel confident enough that
I might even go to the other extreme and become too comfortable with
my security.

Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment